Thursday 25 June 2009

Just like Michael

This is a blatant and shameless topic swipe from Bystander's blog, but as the story sounds very similar to one of mine (the story that sent me over the tipping point with regards to the police), and Bystander understandably enough doesn't want his post hijacked, I hope we can discuss it here.

My story, very briefly, is that I was glassed one night in a local pub.
After some excellent first-aid work by the barstaff, I spent the night in hospital. Upon release from hospital and turning my mobile on, I had a few texts from the staff saying that they had it all on CCTV, and they were happy to give statements to the police (as well as asking if I was OK of course!). Just before I got to the police station to report it, I got a new text from the barmaid who was working that morning; the perpetrator was in the pub for hair of the dog! So, I told the desk Sgt what had happened, showed her the fresh stitches in my head, told her that the CCTV was available, and that there were 4 sober and dozens of not completely sober witnesses. And of course, the small issue of the offender being sat in a pub 500 yards away right now. "Nothing we can do, sorry". "It's not really worth it" "we're really busy" etc etc etc et F c.

Anyway, I am hoping to hear the continuation of the discussions of Michael's story, so enough about me.

I hear you Michael, I know what you're saying.

Legal minds, please educate us.

(That is absolutely genuine, by the way. I really do like hearing from the judiciary and police, so please, say want you want)

7 comments:

  1. Lazy sergeant. But you should've insisted on formally reporting the crime (they can't tell you to go away, they can just try and put you off) - once it's listed as an open offence, it hurts their stats unless they immediately go to the pub and arrest the offender...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its outrageous, lazy policing.

    Your first point is a complaint about the sergeant to the local duty inspector or if you feel strongly enough straight to the IPCC.
    You are reporting a s20/s18 assault (which would carry as a s18 4 or 5 years in jail) yet they wont even log it as a crime.

    Your position is different to Michael as his case got into the system. What I am not sure about in relation to him (his posts have been contradictory) is whether the case was not pushed by the police or whether it was nixed by the CPS on the evidential test (To charge it has to be more likely than not that a conviction will be obtained). If it was a CPS decision in his case then I am amazed unless there is something he is not telling us. He can seek a full written explanation from the CPS for that decision.

    If it was the police then its a neglect of
    duty and we are back to the complaint about the police.

    The biggest tip if you are in the same situation again is to insist on getting a crime number and therefore having the case formally reported

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate this crap. All it takes is one workshy muppet to make the rest of us look bad.
    If the circs are as you described - formal complaint to inspector, or phone in the job from home. A patrol will be allocated and the crime will be investigated - section 18 assault would be dealt with by CID in my force.
    Out of interest which force area are you in?
    And was it a "desk sergeant" or a civilian employee at the front desk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Further to the above on re-reading your post there is a huge difference between "we won't investigate your crime" and "we cannot go and arrest the offender right now". I responded thinking you meant the former.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I aupppose, *if* the problem is workshy officers, then it's really only in the nads of the police to do anything about it.

    Why do their colleagues tolerate it - or I suppose are they even aware of it?

    You should bring a little peer pressure together on these people - by which I don't mean a good kicking round the back of the station - but rather just letting it be known that you're not going to stand for it.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn my keyboard, fingers, and combinations thereof...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a case of "we won't do anything" rather than "we won't go and arrest him right now".

    She was indeed a Sgt, and not a civvy worker. (well she wore a police uniform with stripes on the shoulders...)

    I appreciate now, with hindsight of course, that I should have asked to see her supervisor, I wasn't aware that I could have insisted on it being reported, thanks for the info.

    Hopefully I won't be in such a position again...

    ReplyDelete